20 August 2007

But I didn't inhale!

I hope this blog doesn't come back to haunt me when I eventually run for political office under an ultra-conservative ticket.

I didn't inhale.

Sunday proved to be one of those more interesting days. I'd been co-opted into an ESR study to measure THC (active ingredient in marijuana) levels in saliva. There were three groups, smokers, passive-smokers and cookie munchers. I'd managed to get our posse in as cookie munchers, so around 9am me, Rich, Michelle and Amy nibbled our way through a 'special' afghan. Each cookie contained one NIDA marijuana cigarette - which is apparently 3.4% THC (does it show I'm reading from the protocol?). We were tested reasonably frequently with a saliva based dip stick (can't find any pix on the web sorry), which as the study progressed became hourly. Urine was collected pre ingestion, immediately post ingestion and at the end of the study t=9hr.

So how was it? Well being totally unfamiliar with the concept of cookies *ahem* I can report that this one kicked - seriously. All four of us were surprised at how 'baked' (see I'm down with the lingo too - thanks Tim Leary and Porcupine Tree) we were, and it kicked in early - roughly 30-45mins after eating. It lasted for a very very long time, in fact when we finished the study I wasn't feeling entirely normal. Turning immediately to alcohol may not have been the best move either. We watching movies (Dogma), and played a lot of Buzz on the PS2. Very fun day actually.

But so the rest of you impressionable kiddies don't get the wrong idea, here's a trailer to the absolute classic anti-drug movie Reefer Madness.



Love and cookies, B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, for those of you who are _really_ interested in the devices our beloved is referring to you can check out the saliva "lollypops" here:
http://www.immunalysis.com/quantisal_procedure.htm
and the 'other' kits (which I can assure you were accurately recording an "above acceptable/safe limit" after 8 hrs) are here:
http://www.nsadrugtest.com/drug_test_kits/_images/toxcup-test.jpg

AND I must say he (and of course the adorable posse of other cookie munchers) behaved himself/themselves very well! I even came away in a semi mobile state for a change eh B?

Big Ups to all involved for giving up their sunday "in the name of science"! Gotta share the love of science around I've always said....

love, and staying as anonymous as I can - I was only a legalised dealer for 1 weekend people,
me :)

Anonymous said...

I need better friends - none of our research is anywhere this interesting.

I take it the crack whore is adjusting? Buying tight black jeans and tee shirts as we speak?

J

Anonymous said...

How do you get hook ups like that for science, man?