13 August 2007

Wellington Sinfonia

I had tickets to the Wellington Sinfonia concert on Saturday night.

First up was John Psathas' piece Three Psalms, a piano concerto. This is a really great piece, and as the conductor, Marc Taddei said, Psathas is one of New Zealands best composers. Lovely lyrical composition without sacrificing tune for interest. Shame it didn't show in this performance. The opening felt very very muddy without note distinction in the cello's and basses, although this improved somewhat through the performance. The biggest problem, and since this is a piano concerto, it is a problem - is that the piano kept getting drowned out.
I realise the acoustics are not as good at the Town Hall as the MFC, but even still the orchestra should be able to adjust !!
Parts of the piece were fine, but overall not a good performance and it was a shame not to be able to hear Michael Houston tinkling the ivories.

The second piece was, I'm guessing, the reason most people had turned up - Beethoven's 9th. I think the balance between Psathas and Beethoven was good, both are lyrical composers, and the more people who get exposed to Psathas the better.

The first two movements of the 9th have always struck me as the realisation of mortality/human condition/however you want to phrase it. I didn't get that from this performance. Again with the muddy playing in the lower registered instruments, and the middle (viola's and wind) seemed a bit lacking, although that may have been the acoustics. The second movement was a bit of a nightmare for the horn player who seemed to be fluffing entries left right and centre. The third movement was much better, in fact very nicely played. The third and fourth movements seem to me to be realisation of hope (or if for the God types, salvation) that his (Beethoven) music will continue his memory. The choir got this and the fourth movement was good. Except for the female vocalists - the males were great - but the slightly shrill screetching from the soprano wasn't very attractive.

I liked the way that Taddei pushed the tempi a bit, although for my money the second was a little fast - but I wasn't complaining.

All in all, not that impressed. Probably a 5 or 6/10, the Psathas missed the soloist, and the Beethoven lacked passion.

Love, B.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wank, didn't realise the 9th was on - would have gone. King Lear was entertaining on Sunday tho :) J

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,

My understanding is that the acoustics in the Town Hall are actually superior to the MFC, and they had to spend a lot of money investing in resonating speakers to bulk up the MFC's sound. Not to mention all that screens in the ceiling to project the sound places it wouldn't otherwise get to.

Simple rectangular halls are better for acoustics. Plonk the orchestra at one end and let the reverb bounce off the other end, I guess.

This was according to my grandad, who was a founder member of the NZSO, so his opinion should be fairly reliable.

Sphenodon said...

Stu, every other time I've been to the TownHall the sound has been great - and I've sat in various places around it. Which makes me think it was the orchestra who were at fault. I guess I was trying to be nice :)

The DomPost review was glowing tho', 'twas like we were at different concerts !

b