18 August 2007

Exclamations of audio joy

I've always had a bit of a love affair with LPs. The first music I ever bought was on vinyl - Genesis "Invisible Touch" and A-ha "Hunting High and Low". I dallied with tapes a bit, but I never quite 'got' them - except as storage for other peoples albums. I loved the texture of the LP, the large artwork (ahhh Roger Dean...), the feeling of sliding it on the turntable. Watching the needle move downwards and hearing the soft 'clunk' as the needle, the amp and the speakers all come together to produce a warm, sometimes crackly music. Ahhh.

As a vinyl junkie I slipped somewhat in the collecting stakes during the early 00s, just Marillion and Fish EPs, LPs, picture discs and singles from Porcupine Tree. Then Neil (Psychochicken) arrived in my fair town of Wellington. That bugger rekindled the fire, prompting me to collect the No-Man, Porcupine Tree LPs. Damm it. And my jazz collection has increased cos I love the sound of slightly crackly vinyl with jazz.

Which brings me to what I'm listening to at the moment, before the slip in collecting I picked up a few of the EMI100 releases including Jethro Tull's 'Thick as a Brick' - and damm that sounds fine on new 180gm high quality vinyl. Mmmmm. Very very tasty.

My new TV has just arrived and I've set it up to Sd2 of 'Brick. My AppleTV looks stunning on it, and I've got Mr H warbling away on 'Runaway Girl' at the mo from his h Natural DVD (again with thanks to the chicken).

I've cleaned up the tapes, found some that might be worth something - mainly Queen singles most still shrinkwrapped - and am considering food. I think I need some explosive 'boy' movie to watch tonight with some wine on the new baby.

love em vinyl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, a "bit" of a love affair? I think it was a whole one-night-stand-leading-to-ongoing-dangerous-liaison, myself.

And I remember the Invisible Touch album.... Have you still got it? (Is that a stupid question?).

Good luck with anti-paper procrastination.

R

Anonymous said...

T'was a pleasure to rekindle your fire, sir (fnar fnar)

Long live vinyl (says the man currently eyeing up fancy new CD players)

Neil/psychochicken