28 November 2007

Musing on Justin

At some point a brief summary of Sydney may pop up, but until then:
Muse : believe the hype. NME and various other stupid music magazines have dubbed Muse 'best live band in the world'. On the strength of the gig I saw on Friday, it's probably true. Matt's voice is incredible, his range, power, projection - great stuff. The light show was damm good, my one complaint was that the bass and drums could have been a bit higher in the mix. But I'm really pleased I popped along, the selection was mostly from the last two albums (Black Holes and Revelations and Absolution), but they did an absolutely storming version of Feelin' Good.
Venue was the Henderson arena thing, which didn't have the best acoustics, but the sound guys seemed to have it pretty sorted. Would be close to my top gig of the year.

Since I was in Auckland the blonde (who was arriving back in NZ on the Sat) and I decided to stay there a couple of days and see Justin Timberlake. If nothing else the looks on peoples faces when I said I was going was worth the ticket price. Now, contrary to popular belief, I don't know that many Justin songs (we established later it was 3 or 4), but I had a great time. Stunning lightshow, great performance/dancing, cool vibe. Loved it. And I came away with more respect for JT than when I went in, he was plonking away on the keyboards and a guitar quite frequently. At times his voice was a bit whiney, but that might have been an affectation. Anyway, great concert - and I realised later, possibly the first pure 'pop' gig I've ever been to. The audience hysteria was also funny, at times they were louder than extreme metal gigs I've been to. Freaky!

Love, B xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool post, B. I'm a bit jealous, because if I was to ever go to a pop gig, Timberlake would be the sorta show I'd go to - big budget, fully professional, and by someone who knows how to craft a pop song.