3 November 2007

On the way to a farflung ex-empire

I'm sitting at Auckland airport without much to amuse me for an hour or two, hence the hop on the web and blog. Oh god, I'm so sad. The delights of the food court failed to tempt me, and as the limit for booze into the UK is 1 ltr of 42%+, I've grabbed Andrew's order and left it at that. Might consider some cigars, but not really in the shopping mood. I've acquired a throat infection which is pissing me off, but it is making me tired which is a good thing for flying :)

Firstly a movie review, those of you who like NZ movies or believe in supporting out indiginous movie industry should pay attention. We wandered along to Perfect Creature, the new movie by the director of Irrefutable Truth About Demons. Now that movie was enjoyable, and the feeling most of us got after watching was, it would be great to see him given money and a decent script. PC has had far more money thrown at it, and looks great. Sadly the script suffered- cool concept (vampires 'the brotherhood' and humans live in harmony) but done very very poorly. Actually the concept lent itself to some interesting exploration, was this really a symbiotic relationship? There were scenes in the movie suggestion subjugation - was this deliberate?
Anyhoo, story line, such as it was, concerned a vampire that went bad and started killing humans. It was 'infected' with some new virus thing. The head of the brotherhood, who happened to also be the bad vamps bruvva, had to go hunt him. The main hunter, played by Dougray Scott, never managed any style - tried hard to look tense, worried and generally emo, but failed.
The movie dragged. Badly. Even worse, it's only 90mins long. S had made some comment before it started about C and Z grades, and I pointed out I could certainly find them for her. It appeared we were at one already.

Recommendation: don't go. don't get the dvd. watch 'demons instead.

The trip: I'm thinking of resuscitating Tuatara Times, which gained a far larger readership last time I was overseas that I ever suspected. We'll see how I can fit that into the blog format.

To all of those I didn't quite get around to seeing before I buggered off, sorry about that (DH+LP in particular - promise i'll pop down, it's only ChCh afterall!).

Akld duty free is crap btw. Which I guess everyone knows, but still. The booze salesman looked confused when he offered to help and I said I was after 'single malts'. Apparently that's a brand. FFS!!!! nevermind, the heathrow scotch shop and neil's Scotch Tours should fix me up right proper.

I've just remembered UK customs like to have an address that you'll be living at, might have to write that down since I think I left Andrew's in my luggage. But, being the organised (hoohoohoo) lad I am, it's also sitting in my email. And so far I can't think of anything I've forgotten. Not bad for an hour of packing !

I should take this opportunity to write a CD review or something. Or Diapsid III (yes it's coming). Or maybe, heaven forbid, finish formatting another paper.

For those of you who want to get in touch, the gmail account is the best bet.
Oh and the title refers to Hong Kong, not sure how much of a stopover I get there actually as there's nothing useufl on my boarding pass...
Love, B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip - I hope we can actually see you when you get back at some point!

What places are you going to aart from HK and anywhere that sells Scotch?

R

Anonymous said...

Haha, some of us already know and love Whisky Galore and will be living VERY NEAR IT!
Yippee :)