9 October 2008

Bela Tarr

The Man from London. I haven't seen any movies by him before (just checked imdb, and nothing is jumping out at me).
It's in black and white, or rather light and dark. The storyline is complex, more so than you'd imagine, but didn't appear to be the driving force of the movie. Rather a study of light, and absence of light, and how that can be used to focus attention. It is a very dark movie, both in story and lighting. The few brightly lit scenes burn bright, focussing story, driving the image into the viewer. Akin to how Turner focused his light (that's for the chicken...).
Movie? Hmmm slow, in the French Besson way. But it didnt annoy me the same way as most of Besson's movies. Possibly as the story was coherent, and did have a point. And there were no feckin' donkeys.
I enjoyed this, but I suspect I'll be in the minority. Had I been in another modd, I'd have hated this due to the long lingering shots which don't do anything (hence the Besson comment).

b

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really rate Werckmeister Harmonies (or is it Werckmeister Symphonies). Saw it at a film fest a few years ago and was totally blown away. My flatmate has it somewhere, if you are interested, as it is likely relatively hard to get.