5 October 2008

Of movies, music and beer

I have done pretty much nothing all weekend. Other than lie in bed and relax.

I've watched a fair number of movies recently, rather than indepth reviews I've decided to randomly mention some (not all).
I guess the trip to Berlin spiked an interest in war movies from the German perspective, so I hit Nick up and got:
Stalingrad - great movie, don't watch if you're feeling depressed, things don't end well. Engrossing movie tho'.
Cross of Iron - Sam Peckinpah does a war movie, from the German perspective. Meh it's ok, seems like a Western in places, and sounds like a US war movie. It's good, but over-all, I felt it's overrated (been awhile since I saw it).
Triumph of the Will - ahhh Leni Riefenstahl. It's not really a movie in the way the other three are, but as a documentary or even as a musical, it works brillantly. Described by imdb as 'the infamous propaganda film of the 1934 Nazi Rally in Nuremburg...', which is doing it a disservice. As a historical document, fascinating, as an expression of stage-craft - both movie and staging of the rallies, I suggest it's without peer. The film is apparently the best record of Nuremburg before it was bombed to buggery, and explores the city while following Hitler et al as they wander through it. Interesting look at the Hitler youth too, but by far the standout scenes are the rallies. Hitler was a very inspirational speaker, and who-ever did the stage management was superb (Speer? Riefenstahl?). I was hooked. Leni has had a bit of a redemption over the last few years and her stuff is more easily available, and doesn't have the same revulsion factor when you mention her name...
Downfall - probably the best of the four, looks at the last few weeks in Hitlers bunker in Berlin. Again the story was ruined by having the ending revealed too soon !!! but very well written, directed, acted movie - really enjoyed this one. Can't remember why I didn't see it at the movies...

In Bruges - new Colin Farrell vehicle. Worth watching, funny, but subtle and delicate movie about two hitmen hiding in Bruges.
Vratne lahve - Czech comedy about a teacher who leaves his job. I enjoyed it, funny in the way typical of Czech movies - that sounds a bit pretentious, but if you've seen any it'll make sense.

Beer: nothing much to report.

Music: iTunes was flogging off the 2008 Elbow album "Seldom Seen Kid" so I picked that up. Wow. Excellent. Will spin it more, but strong contender for top5 of the year. I keep forgetting how good that band are.
Some of my more guilty pleasures have raised their head recently. I've picked up the rest of the remastered Alan Parsons Project back catalogue, which I'll review in more detail later. But they do include Gaudi and Ammonia Avenue two of my personal favourites. Some of the others I've only had on tape, so haven't heard for years which could be fun.
Genesis 1983-1998 dropped in the letterbox. Now there's a guilty secret. Not known as their best period, the boxset includes Genesis (the one with Home by the Sea); Invisible Touch; We Can't Dance and Calling all Stations. For those of you who pick me as a hardcore prog boy, and S had this revealed to her on Saturday, I'm not. This is the Genesis era I prefer. I admit I've got more into them since I picked up the 76-82 boxset - it was cheap which was the only reason I succumbed. But Invisible Touch was the first vinyl I bought - from Chelsea Records in the Hutt (5 mins before I grabbed Hunting HIgh and Low from HMV? - I still like both albums btw). And I love it. Sure there's crud on there Anything she does springs to mind, but the album is fun. There's darkness on there, and there's pop-ness in keeping with Phil C's burgeoning outside career.
Genesis/Genesis is still good, and has more links to the older style. And any album with Home by the Sea is going to be a winner.
We Can't Dance. I still like it, I suspect it could have done with trimming. But the long 'jam' songs are still good. the Last Spike in particular.
Calling all Stations - never heard this, but am watching vids as I type this, and musically sounds like Duran Duran (well Shipwrecked did). I have Congo on CDSingle somewhere...

I still remember a review which asked 'how can a band who loses Phil Collins sound worse' (or words to that affect). Heehee.

I'm interested in revisiting the Peter Gabriel era when the next boxset comes out, as he's an artist who IMO has grown and developed well beyond what he came from. His solo stuff is some of my favourite music, but the Genesis stuff, hmmm can't remember it grabbing me. I think I liked bits of Lamb, which I've got vinyl but don't spin that often, if I want a 2CD prog album, I'll grab The Wall, or Snow, or Marbles.

There is some good stuff coming up soon, new Jolie Holland, new Marillion (and no, even though I got the download offer, I haven't done that), and new Steve Wilson. Also spinning new Richard Barbieri, which is interesting and in keeping with his immense talent.

Biggest bollox so far? Metallica, sure it's the best album of theirs in 10 years. But stop to look at what that actually says, it's better than a covers album, the crap S and M, the crap st anger, the good single but poor double 'load/reload' albums. I've spun it twice, which I'll agree isn't enough, but it's a yawnfest. The first half of the album passes me by, it's like 'oh really, track 6 already', there are some good tracks on there. But over all, a pass, not a resuscitation. I couldnt name any tracks :) so best album since 1991, makes it well, their best album in 17 years. That's encouraging that they do have it still in them. Rick Rubin is a talented wee chap.

Well I was going to read tonight, but think I'll doze off now.
Ciao, B.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Genesis discussion reminds me of Patrick Bateman's from Ellis' "American Psycho". :) J

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that you had to stop me rolling off the bed with laughter, tears rolling down face and your shamefacedness guilty smile as you told me...

S

Pachyderm said...

Mmmm.... Ammonia Avenue. Best APP song, although I'm a fan of Eye in the Sky as well, and some of the dark dodginess on Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

And it was you that converted me to Genesis. It's all your fault, although I don't have any of their albums. Me not guilty.

I've just got my hands on more classic Queen. Be proud of me!

R

MadMacca said...

Genesis!?

Oh, Sphen. :-)