2 October 2008

Earth, Willard Grant Conspiracy and beer

One of the brunettes and I were heading to WGC (Robbie Fisher) so decided to catch a movie first. Went and saw Earth at the Embassy. Hmmm, visually stunning, my quite soporific. Patrick Stewart, who narrates, has a great voice, but I got bored. Apparently the filmmakers had been accused of not putting enough global warming stuff in the TV series, and you got the feeling things were pushed through for the movie.
Music was horribly cliched and boring. dramatic scene=swell, add instruments, quieten down=pull instruments, birds flying=increasing chord changes. yawn.
Sure it looks good, but I'm not raving about it. Probably a 6/10 - worth seeing at the Embassy, but otherwise, don't rush.

Dinner was at the A-roy on cuba mall, which is good. Not quite spiced enough for me, so it'll be back to KK for me.

Support was provided by some group who I think were called the Downbeats. Really enjoyed their set, kinda of rockabilly meets surf meets murder ballads meets the Eagles. Which really doesn't do them justice. Lead singer sounded a lot like Kristin Hersh, in her more recent guise. That worked for me, and she had a very powerful voice. I'll try and track down their name, but we enjoyed this. I had a Black Mac.
Robert Fisher, the main power behind the Willard Grant Conspiracy, was doing an acoustic show. What a funny guy! great between song banter and the music, crickey. The CDs are pretty stripped back to start with, but this really brought out the emotion and power of the songs. The brunette had never heard their stuff before and loved it (I had promised to lend a couple of albums, but typically hadn't gotten around to it). I picked up another of their albums, which I haven't had listened to yet.
How to describe WGC? Hmmm, Nick Cave, Wilco, Greg Trooper, Iron and Wine? The most recent album, Pilgrim Road which is fantastic, but the album that got me was Regard the End.
All available from here. sounds from here.

Loved the gig, seated at tables, cool vibe - very very relaxed. One beer drunk. Giving a total of two, yes two, for the evening.

me

No comments: