16 September 2009

Orange (punk is dead, but not directionless) Goblin


See, the more general blogs are still well-titled, or at least I think they are. Your mileage may vary. 
Headed down to London on Saturday and went to Borough market, oh dear god, the people, the tourists. Wahh. Got some coffee beans (phew), and excellent espresso (oh the joy, almost caused an accident in my, nope won't go there…). Wandered around a bit, brunch, pint at Southwark Tavern, then back to Islington to see the adorable Mrs S.  Ooohhh best title of a PSB track playing now 'you only tell me you love me when you're drunk' - awesome. Where was I? oh yeah, Mrs S was having a sober day. But that didn't stop me. 
Following the catchup, outside the Lord with a pint in lovely sunlight - it's hell, it really is. Headed in to see A. Reminds me I must order some comics. Maybe I'll remember to email when I post this…
We were catching Orange Goblin at the Underworld. I'll hopefully include some OG videos with this, but they used to be a very very rough stoner metal band. They ain't now. Extremely tight band, and the frontman is very good. Still elements of stoner metal there, but it's more rock-metal now. I've got Time Travelling Blues (the Delerium release) from 1998 - actually it might have come out a little before that.  But I'll be checking out more of their albums. Really good gig - and in keeping with metal audiences, it's fun. Although in keeping with London venues, the toilets add a level of character you don't necessary want. And that was before the gig started. Support were Symphony Cult, a lady-metal band. I don't like chick-metal much. And this one was even more Evanescence than normal. Avoid. 
Highlight? While we were having food - yeah we've aged to the point were we do eat before gigs - a punch of middle-aged punks (hair, studs on jackets, the works) came in to the chinese place we were at. Their conversation turned to heading up north somewhere; "how you getting there man?", "i'll be taking the car and the tomtom". Ahhh, the punk ethos, never get lost - use a tomtom. Mr Rotten would be so proud.
Lowlight: A's insistence on drinking crap beer. Because he's a sadistic arse he even made me drink newkie brown. This is a beer that makes DB Draught or Double Brown taste. Actually that's going too far. But it is dire. 
In other news, I think I'm becoming less tolerant. Most people seem to get more accepting as they age, apparently. However while watching a Richard Dawkins documentary, the main thought I had was 'He's not going far enough'. I may blog about that at some stage in more detail, but briefly:
The middle east crisis could be solved by psychiatry. Seriously. Everyone who says that god (of whatever persuasion) told them that they should have 'this piece of land', should be sent to a mental institution for delusional behaviour. 
By the way, the beer, outside of A's provenance, is superb. Happy happy joy joy. Although it's tricky to find belgium beer, so far. But I haven't looked much - there's heaps of Heffe etc., but self-respecting beer snobs don't touch that.
Whisky news: PC8 is out as is the Kilchoman 3yo. I sense both in my future very soon now. N - if you are interested, I could spin up, grab the PT album and share some…
B

3 comments:

michael said...

Re: Belgian beer, you're also in a much better position to BUGGER OFF TO BELGIUM ITSELF than I might be... There's some hokey bar in Brugge (It's in Belgium ;) that I was told has every beer made there. It seemed like a tourist dive, but, ah well, the beer was v good.

Neil said...

Ooo. Borough market... Yep, it's heaving but it's good. I head straight for the ostrich steaks...

Anonymous said...

you're turning into a grumpy old man. chill out, dude.

love, your hippie friend.