16 September 2009

Week 3 : another witty title

Week 3
I'll be the first to admit that the titles of these updates are lacking a little. I shall endeavour to work on that.
This was the first full week of work. Never a pleasant experience, but all going well. It's interesting and as no-one really knows what my job is, I'm getting to define it. Or have others define what they think it is, and see how that fits with my view. 
The main focus is the start of term in a fortnight, which I have to co-ordinate the IT support into their halls of residence. There's accommodation on campus for about 5000 students, so there's a smidgeon of work to be done there.
I need to co-ordinate network cables, booklets describing the services IT provide, and instructions on how to connect to the HallNet LAN. So I've been proofing those and ordering eco-bags to put them all in.
Yeah eco-bags - here's a place I don't have to fight to get green computing. They have a system which tells you off for having the computer on for more than 12 hours - and a power nazi. Great stuff !!!
Spoke briefly to the gathered hall wardens on Wednesday, which apparently was a first. One of them had mentioned the meeting, so I invited myself to it and said I'd take 5 minutes max, so could I speak first… heh charm offensive, it's not just Oceansize (oohhh music reference there!).
Thurs was spent dealing with proofs, and Friday and some hours over the weekend reading CVs for my minions. I've ended up on the interviewing panel too, which is good. The minions are for my second major project, setting up a student laptop clinic in conjunction with an external contractor. We had a meeting with the leading tender - a local company as the Uni prefers to support local. Yup I'm liking this place. Also got some men to move furniture for me in the room we're setting up for the clinic…so that's all sorted now and PCs appeared in it today. I've got to have a think about what networking I need now. 
So yeah, good productive week. S turned up on Friday and I promptly ran off to London on Saturday :D more on the London trip somewhere else.
Spending the evening (Monday) reading and listening to music after wandering back from the supermarket with groceries, which is a bit of an amble. If it's 45 to uni, it's 60min to the supermarket. My legs are a bit sore.
Currently listening to the most under-rated of the Pet Shop Boys albums, Nightlife.
Love,B

3 comments:

Chris said...

Charm? I thought this was Bruce's blog? I do apologise, I've obviously been leaving comments for a stranger :)

Anonymous said...

My beloved is charm personified :-p specially before coffee...

Jos said...

aha the boy doth have charm.

Good to hear you are enjoying L'borough uni - altho it may be due to the powers-that-be are giving you a free rein...dont forget to take a 3 hour break & lie down after any decisions eh.

Borough market - shame about the tourists but so pleased you found some coffee what suited your discerning palate!!

Hi to A at comic shop & dont forget your correspondente enjoys the Saturday paper....

Jos