20 September 2009

Week 4 : in which papercuts begin

Week 4

More of the same really. Temperature seems to be becoming more sensible, which is good for the walk in and home.
Finished the CVs while coming back from London, gave 25 of them to my boss and some one else to whittle down to 10 for interviews. Spent the rest of the week continuing to organise the first years IT requirements for next week - and it's now reached yikes levels.
To the point where I'll be heading in tomorrow (Sunday) to do some more work and printing out pamphlets. Oh well, I get to listen to Craig's radio show since I have internet at work. *pout* It's looking like internet will arrive here (home) on Tuesday, and I now have a phone. FFS glaciers move faster.

But more on that later.

Their enrolment system is a bit archaic, it used to be cutting edge, however the ravages of time have blunted that, and in a fit of desperation the ServiceDesk manager and I decided that F-it, we will manually print out all the 1st years usernames/passwords and put them in sealed envelopes. Everyone else we'd approached to get this scripted said they were too busy.
So as overpaid envelope stuffers me, the SD manager, the SD and the telephonists dug in and got it done in 3 days. Result!
And I was interviewing all Friday, thankfully there were some great candidates there, so I should have quite a good team of minions next week. Cutting it a bit fine? um yeah, you might be right…

Have vaguely planned training for Monday, my boss is to speak first, I've given him 45 mins, figuring the way he goes on it'll take 90 mins. The rest of the speakers when I mentioned that to them all pissed themselves and said 'didn't take you long to figure that one out'.
And then *they* arrive. From Tuesday my minions are out in the halls handing out network cables, pamphlets and generally looking friendly.
Oh and my other major project, a PC clinic for all students, starts on Wednesday. We haven't actually signed a contract with the (probable) winner tender. But that's due to finance and risk management. And other words that strike fear into the hearts of active go getters.

But I had a chat to the head of the finance people, along with the deputy director of IT (my bosses boss), and we all like the local company we want to award the contract to, so here's hoping.

So yeah, next week is likely to be a bleeding' nightmare. I'm slowly stocking up on whisky, beer and cheese to survive it. Damn I need a stereo…I miss my sounds!!!

Love, B

No comments: