30 March 2010

Keytars and general scariness

A hugely popular song during my younger years was Funkytown, with its classic keytar usage.

Sadly for those of us who wanted to be lead singers and keyboard players, the keytar has disappeared from pop music.
But it appears to have had a comeback in folk-metal. Yup that genre I've scared myself with before, here's some more.
Firstly keytar mayhem by the Alewives and 'Keelhauled'.


And so, why stop there. Here's someVikings getting hammered...there's some Steve Harris (Maiden) style riffs in there, or rather Maiden-esque guitar breaks. Good stuff.



Now a band endorsed by none other than Mr Salmond. In the spirit of Nintendo, 'battle'.


Sleep well and dream of viking metal.

1 comment:

Mr A. P. Salmond, esq. said...

Ahh...Turisas. My favourite live act discovery of the past decade. Recording a new album now too, so hopefully UK tours to come (they've got a pretty solid fan-base here).

I've seen Alestorm before, too. The "Original Scottish Pirate Metal" band played support for Turisas at a gig at the Electric Ballroom a couple of years ago. I moshed with guys in chainmail, helmets and plastic axes. Good fun.