26 March 2010

Thursday Night Music

I'd been flicking through my vinyl the other day, moving bits of it around - I'd realised I had Talk Talk singles in three different boxes, and as a 'mild' OCD retentive, this bothered me. While doing this I came across some stuff I hadn't listened to for awhile - solving my Thursday night music problems.

First up was the Tygers of Pan Tang, loosely described as a heavy metal band belonging to the NWOBHM (pronounced nah-wob-em), I think I'd run more with hard rock. They get raved about, but all in all, seem ok but nothing great. Nice background rock.

Moved onto Mark Kelly's (of Marillion) first band, Chemical Alice, and their EP Curiouser and Curiouser from 1981. Somehow this EP popped up in NZ, which is where I bought it - mint condition - result. It's very typical neo-prog, cheesy as hell, and some synth breaks by Mr Kelly that wouldn't be out of place on Script. A quick google should find you a download of the EP, and if you like your cheesy neo-prog, it's definitely worth listening to.

Porcupine Tree : The Incident was spun as well, excellent mix of the older (well ok, Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun) more poppy stuff and the recent heavier approach. there's some excellent 5.1 effects on there as well, reflecting the talent Mr Wilson has for mixing.

I spun some random stuff, mainly Tom Waits from memory, as well.

No comments: