12 May 2007

More movies

I've got my feet up watching Brideshead Revisted, one of my favourite novels and in general a pretty good adaptation - done by John Mortimer which may explain why the ironic, sarcastic Waugh-isms transferred across to the screen pretty well. But onto the movies:
First up The African Queen (1951), and I don't mean Barak Obama in a dress! One man, one woman, one boat and a river. What will happen? Love, romance, death, leeches? who can tell!! I'm a bit fan of Bogart so it was nice to hear that the Paramount was showing this - a new print no less. Ok so Katharine Hepburn isn't the hottest movie star, but the story was originally written by CS Forester, and the adaptation and directing for the movie was by the legendary John Huston (who, among other things, was in one my favourite movies, Candy, and writing Key Largo). Basically Bogey and Hepburn end up on The African Queen after the Germans slaughter the village Hepburn's brother is the minister at. And one thing leads to another. But it is an enjoyable wee movie, and Bogey looks rough - which doesn't happen that often. I liked seeing it again, the 80's movie Romancing the Stone is 'loosely' based on the same premise. But stick to the African Queen, it's a captivating romp of an adventure/romance flick. And there are leeches. the world cannot have enough leeches in movies.

And this afternoon the lovely brunette bit and I bowled along to Pan's Labyrinth (finally). I've been a fan of Guillermo del Toro since Grizzled Dog showed me the Devils Backbone. del Toro has a wonderful eye for the macabre and black humour. I loved this movie. Wonderful acting by the young girl, stunning sets, and a thoroughly engaging storyline - concerning free will and fairies. As most of you have either seen it or read the glowing reviews, I can't add much. Other than it's as good as the reviews suggest. The sadistic Captain is also wonderful, and possibly the best line of the movie comes from him. After he's explained how he's going to torture a prisoner in graphic detail, he then exploits the prisoners stuttering by saying 'if you can count to three without stuttering i'll let you go' - ahh priceless comedy!
This is a beautiful movie and story.

Love, B

1 comment:

Scarlet Dux said...

I closed my eyes during the torturing bits - but had to laugh at the captain, his slashed lip and drinking scotch - not the most intelligent move I have to say...

S.