7 May 2007

Gangs of New Zealand

With the current drama in Wanganui (for the overseas readers: some kid was shot by the mongrel mob or black power and the other lot said 'its not over') there is a renewed push for gangs to be banned.

Dunno about you, but I'm not sure how well that will work within our Bill of Rights. Particularly the 'freedom of association' bit. How would they get around that? I'm also not convinced it would work in general. From the reading I've done (admittedly not much) I can see legislating against gangs - effectively giving the police more powers to deal with gangs as a terrorist organisation (yeah thanks Ron Marks, that's so helpful) would make them more attractive to potential recruits, and act as reinforcement for unity of the gang.

If this knee-jerk reaction to the situation does come to be enacted, I'm going to form my own gang. Possible names for this are:

White apathy - but I sense the irony of calling it that negates its use
White ambiguity or Ambiguously White

Feel free to join...

Love, B.

5 comments:

Mr A. P. Salmond, esq. said...

Sounds like a good old case of media panic to me. The idea that sabre-rattling gangs indicate that New Zealand society is teetering on a knife's edge. Because, y'know, Black Power, Mongrel Mob, Satan's Slaves, and all the others have always gotten on so well before...

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I particularly like White Apathy, and if the Gangs are all outside the law then I guess that means I can still smack my kids!? I always saw myself as more of a gangsters moll than a gang prospect, but apparently my arse looks really good in my new black jeans, and I have a lovely elegant Leather Jacket and ultra classy tattoo.
WA WA WA 4 EVA

Anonymous said...

Scary. I just read this, Bruce, and had a vision of you all glammed up and singing Gary Glitter's "Do you wanna be in my gang."

Sphenodon said...

That's mainly cos you've seen me like that Scotty too Hotty

Anonymous said...

I KNOW New Zealand GOVERMENT created GANGS in New Zealand and I know its going to take the GOVERMENT to STAMP GANGS OUT. It is easy BAND them from EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. New Zealand SOCIETY has let themselves be intimadated by THUGS and its time WE stood up to these THUGS AND KICK THEM OUT OF SOCIETY AS A WHOLE. Its what they want so give them WHAT THEY WANT. They dont want to belong its so easy.... come New Zealand sort it out b4 ur family gets pulled into NEW ZEALAND GANGS.