10 September 2007

Napalm Death

Right, the review of Napalm Death.

As some of you have probably gathered, I like my metal. And I like my black metal. ND are variously described as grindcore/death metal. Definitely grindcore - and they are generally credited with inventing the genre. Grindcore is loud, fast and very full-on, think a metal version of punk - or punk-extreme - or something like that. It's not a genre I'm that keen on, preferring the death/black metal stylings of the Norwegians and Swedes - Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth etc.
Originally formed in 1981 (?!) (thanks Wikipedia) by the time the first album was recorded, Sd2 had none of the original band members on it.

So the gig. Nick had been grumbling about not going to Cannibal Corpse - mainly cos it was expensive and although we kinda liked the band, we didn't like them *that* much. Much the same arguments had been advanced for ND, until I won tickets which was a much better price. So in true rock'n'roll style, we met at Midnight Cafe and had a long black and discussed country music. We skipped the first band, Backyard Burial as we'd seen them a few times and caught most of the 2nd act 'Graymalkin' who were quite good.
ND were good, they ain't the most talented bunch of musicians, but they were having fun. Stage presence was good, and the lead singer did interact with the audience a bit. They played for about 75 minutes, which felt about right.

So why did I go? Given I don't like the genre that much, it's a good question. For a start, we get so few hard metal concerts I thought I should go, and it turned out to be free. I enjoyed it, and came away with a bit more appreciation for ND than I went in with. The crowd was fun, and i was surprised by the amount of chicks there - and they didn't seem to be hanging off anyone so were apparently there *for the music*.
I'm not going to be rushing out to buy an album, and am happy sticking with the metal bands I already like. But as I said it was a good intro to grindcore, a genre I wasn't that familiar with. And I'd hate to be accused of not being keen on exploring new music :)
Thanks to Steel Mill for the tickets :)

Oh and I found this t-shirt on amazon, and no, I haven't bought it.


Me xx

No comments: