9 September 2007

William Gay - Twilight

For a change, a book review.

I saw this one reviewed in the DomPost recently and figured it sounded 'like me, don't ya know'. So rather than pissing around let's just list the bits that attracted me to it:
* Southern gothic
* necrophilic undertaker
* bootleg whisky
* inbred nutjobs
* gun toting rednecks
* murderers
* gorgeous use of language

The story is very dark, involving photographs, a perverse undertaker, bootleg whisky all the great subject matters - and for those of you who like the genre (including the music), it is wonderful Southern Gothic. There's blackmail when the undertakers misdeeds are discovered, a murderer employed to deal to the blackmailers, a number of great screwball anti-social characters who pop up, and a great ending. Wot more could you want! Oh and as I've mentioned in other posts, I don't like morally pure characters. This book I liked :) Even the ending is ambiguous and there is little redemption for anyone. Ahhhh, happy.

The writer uses language beautifully, and it's worth reading for that alone. Except his subject material could be construed as disturbing for the more pure members of my readership (do I have any of those?). The book has had rave reviews from a lot of good reviewers, and is worth a spin.

The author is worth a peek too, I've managed to track down a picture...


I suspect some serious bloggage today btw...

B xx

No comments: