30 September 2007

Cafe Review: Janus Bakkerij

I have said in the past that I don't like this place, there's no atmosphere and the food is mediocre. Sadly there's little competition without using a car and killing the planet, so we headed down there (again) on Sunday.
We left after 50+ minutes and no food arriving. That pissed me off enough that I've written a letter. And I never get that excited. Ever. I say I will, but never do.
<<<
I’m grumpy. I’ve been to your cafĂ© three times in the last month or two and haven’t had a good experience yet. Things reached a nadir on Sunday when we wandered along for brunch.
Sure your staff were polite at the counter and told us to go sit down and they’d come take our order. Sadly, that’s the good point.
From there we waited 10 minutes, eventually giving up and heading back to the counter to suggest that they ‘may want to take our order’. Magically someone appeared. Our order was taken, albeit with repeating back the wrong stuff to us – and neither of us have poor diction or enunciation. After getting this sorted and establishing that we’d like our coffees with the food, we settled in to read the paper and await food. After 40 minutes (a total of 50 since we arrived) we decided to give the staff another 5 and then we’d leave. And so we left telling a smiling waitress who’d arrived to clear our place to ‘cancel our order’.

Sadly this wasn’t the first time we’ve had long delays, the other two times I’ve been I’ve also found the service very slow. But Sunday did take things to a new level.

At the very least you could have informed us there would be a 30-40 minute wait before food arrived.

I won’t be going back, and I will be passing this onto friends who ask for recommendations.

Regards, Bruce
<<

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that one - I haven't ever had a good time there either, altough I did actually get fed - eventually. But their hot choc was more like lukewarm milo (evil) and the cake was stodgy.

Suggestion - the cafe at Mitre 10 Mega (Petone) isn't bad. They do a pretty good salmon eggs bene....
R