9 May 2008

BigBang Theory

'tis a cold wet day outside, which explains my inside writing plan. That's working out nicely, but it's elevenses, so sipping coffee and listening to SFScotts new album. Beautiful stuff. I've spun the new no-man and Robert Plant/Alison Krauss so it's been a very chilled morning... 

I've been enjoying the new CBS sitcom "BigBang Theory" which revolves around the lives of physics post-docs and a hot babe next door. Sound dreary? yeah you'd think, but it's actually funny and incorporates particularly intelligent physics jokes. Their scientific advisor is a experimental particle physicist from UCLA, and the current edition of Science has a review of the show here. What hooked me was the line from the first or second episode"That's my work. It's just some quantum mechanics. A little string theory doodling around the edges. That part there--that's just a joke. It's a spoof of the Born-Oppenheimer approximation.
So if it ever reaches NZ, do watch it. It's cute, funny and relaxed. YouTube links for excerpts here.

B

2 comments:

Scarlet Dux said...

Working hard I see :-p

S.

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying that too. It's my current guilty TV secret.