3 May 2008

Bruce's Weekend Beer Report

Written under the influence of beer, wine, and a particularly nice dinner.

First up: the new Epic Lager. Epic Pale Ale has won the NZ beer competition a few times (cannae be arsed checking how many) and its bloody marvellous. Deservedly one of our best beers, hoppy, tasty, quaffable - divine. Now Epic have released a lager. And your less than sober scribe can report, it's also bloody marvellous. Reasonably hoppy (for a lager anyway), dry (for a NZ lager) and quaffable. In fact, I would suggest it's the best lager I've tried from a NZ brewer. More info from the brewer here. I want more. I think I'll get more. Maybe I'll get some Ale too. Then I can have an ale/lager party - it'll be EPIC! Sorry.

The other beer was the Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA. Interesting, certainly not the best IPA I've ever had, but I'd certainly drink more more of it. It's described on various sites as citrusy, but I got more raspberries from it - almost a hint of Belgian fruit beer in there. Poured nicely - pretty amber colour - not much head, not much carbonation. Went down easy, always a good sign. Claimed on the bottle as quite hoppy, but no-where near as much as the Epic's. I've enjoyed the Belhaven's I've drunk, not great beers but certainly good - better off tap, but I'm a bit stuck here. Have to head back and find some...

Luvs and slainte mhath, B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NICE Blog :)