15 May 2008

House smells good

It's been awhile since I made any chutney or preserves, but the glut of feijoa's I'd ended up with meant I had to do something. And the offer of another bag from the early-morning-coffee-blonde kinda sealed the deal.
This recipe has been adapted from one of mine, a couple off the web, and ingredients I had available...
1kg feijoas (scale recipe to what you've got), .5kg onions, about 1cm of fresh ginger grated, 1c sultanas, 1c brown sugar, 1t ground cloves, 1.5t curry powerder, 1t tumeric, 1T salt, .5L malt vinegar.
throw all into a pot. bring to boil, simmer until thick. bottle. tricky innit. oh for bottles, i used to clean mine in Na Bisulphate cos I had some around for brewing, but now I just wash them in hot water then bake them for an hour at 80-100C in the oven.

leave for a couple of weeks, then buy some good cheese and bread (or crackers) and eat.

B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"That's a pretty pickle Bruce"
DH