25 February 2009

Releasing the Inner Bogun

Over the past month I've seen Leonard Cohen, Ryan Adams and Iron Maiden. It was Maiden who brought out the fan-boy in me, I'm thrilled to have seen the other two (Cohen was superb), but Maiden and I have been friends since we, as 3rd formers, were listening to the devil's music from Live After Death, and being wowed by the evil art !
headed up to Auckland after getting soaked in Wellington, to find a torrential downpour up there too. As I was a bit bored, and wanted to browse shops, I walked to my hotel in Epsom (ish) area. I was rather wet.
No matter, shower and feet up to relax, then head to the pub to meet Nick. We found a pub in Ellerslie, a chain joint, but very very good beer - Cock and Bull. Even some beer from a pull handle, so we drank. It got to a point where we needed food, which was also good.
Headed to the gig, getting a bit damp on the way. Caught the second half of some NZ band, who weren't bad, and the other support act Lauren Harris (Steve's daughter). Um there's some potential there, but generally yawn.
Maiden hit the stage to much happiness from the audience. opening with Aces High, and proceeding to play an absolute blinder of a gig. Stunning set list, I'd have been happy hearing Hallowed by thy name or Rime of the Ancient Mariner, we got both. We also got Fear of the Dark, which was the album that got me back into the boys. FotD was the newest song they played, with most (?all) of Live After Death making an appearance - including Phantom of the Opera.
Maiden are an awesome live band. They realise metal is, largely, theater, and by god is Bruce a fantastic frontman. I've been luck enough to see some of the supposed best frontmen/singers, and Bruce really did blow them out of the water. His voice, or air-raid siren, is in stunning form. There are set changes, explosions, clothing changes, audience engagement, it's truely an experience. And the Maiden philosophy of well if one lead is good, two is better, so goddamn, we'll have three, works it's ass off live. So for a bunch of guys who have been doing this for 30 years, the energy and work rate was incredible - certainly puts a lot of younger bands to shame. And so much fun!!

Audience: well I felt out of place not wearing an IM t-shirt (I don't even own one). The audience was pretty good natured, not as relaxed as an extreme metal gig (yeah go figure!), but certainly really into it - so no talking during the songs (or not much), which is such a nice change.

I'm sure I could have written a more constructive review, but really this gig was fantastic. Setlist perfect, vibe great, performance and stage show stunning, certainly makes for one of the best gigs I've been to. A sentiment echoed by others who went.

Yay Maiden! Up the Irons. Some pictures from stuff.co.nz here.

I'm a fan boy and proud. All I'm annoyed about it not going to see them in Christchurch as well... Nick and I had toyed with the idea of doing the double-header :D

This post brought to you by Epic's new beer : Mayhem. Think of a steroid version of Epic Ale (yeah that's how fucked up this beer is - superb!).
me x