26 September 2010

Biking to Leicester

I woke up full of enthusiasm to do something this morning. Since it was overcast and looking like rain, I decided to bike to Leicester, just to find out how long it took.
Yesterday was a gorgeous day,which explains why I went for a bike ride today. Idiot. Anyway, it takes an hour from my house to the centre of Leicester. Co-incidentally the same amount of time as the bus from my place to Leicester. Yes go figure that one. The route is pretty similar, the bus takes a couple of detours to other small villages, but largely it's the same - and they run along the A6 for a bit.
It's not a very picturesque ride, the two highlights being Quorn and Montsorrel, both quite pretty villages. Quorn in particular - and it's got some nice pubs/restaurants. I like Quorn, we stayed there when I first came over, it did set the bar high which everywhere else around here has failed to live up to. Wankers.

I was quite organised this time too, even had a jacket with me. Which came in useful on the ride back when it started raining, and with a headwind that popped out of no-where. Damn you Aeolus. Temperature was chilly, and my tootsies were frozen by the time I got to Leicester (no matter how bad Phoenix is, it's still better than Leicester...). Poor tootsies.
Around Montsorrel on the way home, my knee decided to suffer some form of blowout. This made peddling a little tricky. But I made it back, and am now consoling myself with cake (see yesterdays recipe), coffee (Havana - thanks Adders), Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter, and copious amounts of deep heat. But not on a broomhandle.

Couldn't find a video for the ones I wanted, or rather couldn't find a video that wasn't totally naff, so have this one instead.

1 comment:

The Wycombe Wonderer said...

Hmmm... is Quorn the town any relation to Quorn the meat substitute?
(not very interesting) trivia fact - my grammar school Biology teacher's best friend invented Quorn, or at least first came up with the myco-protein that eventually became Quorn. As usual for these things, it was totally by accident. I can't remember what exactly what he was trying to make (he was apparently mucking around with the genetics of various fungi) but one of the results was a stringy white fungus which resembled the texture of chicken. In true "I'm going to do exactly that what I ought not to" scientist style, he plucked up the courage to eat a bit, and discovered that not only did it look like chicken, but it had roughly the same texture and a slightly meaty taste too. As he didn't roll over and die, he decided to investigate further, and the net result is that we have Quorn today. But not over here in New Zealand 'cos the bastards at MAF won't let them import the required cultures. Darn it, an' I love my Quorn satay an' all, nothing quite as good, it's even better than chicken when combined with the peanuty goodness that is satay... :-(