25 September 2010

Cooking with Bruce: Rendang and whisky cake

I just about followed two recipes today!! I've had some whisky tasters lying around which I'd had about half of the 50ml, and couldn't face more. So had vague ideas of using them for cooking. And voila, a ginger and whisky cake recipe turned up in the Guardian today. And very tasty it is too.

Here's a picture before a knife (and me) attacked it.


And for dinner I've made a seafood rendang (the recipe was originally for chicken, so I've included it as is). From Delicious and Atul Kochhar.

Chicken Rendang


Paste
3 lemongrass stalks, 5-6 shallots chopped, 3 garlic cloves,chopped, 1t tumeric powder, 1T chopped galangal, 3 dried red chillies. Blend all in processor or mortar and pestle with a bit of water to make a paste.

Heat 3T peanut oil over a high heat, and saute 5cm cinnamon stick, 3 star anise, 6 green cardomon pods (bruised) for two minutes. Stir in the paste and cook until the oil separates from the paste.
Add 600ml coconut milk, 1 piece asam gelugor (or 1-2t tamarind paste), 1t palm sugar, 4 kaffir lime leaves. Simmer until liquid reduced by half, then add 500ml chicken chopped into 1cm squares, simmer for 30 minutes until well cooked.
Remove whole spices, asam gelugor and lime leaves and serve on rice.

Currently being eaten, and being washed down by Marston Pedigree. Mainly as it's the first beer I grabbed, yes I have more of them in the fridge! Thanks to a nice man called Craig who delivered my groceries. Thanks Craig!

2 comments:

Mr A. P. Salmond, esq. said...

I feel a ginger and whiskey cake may be the price of your next visit here...

Pachyderm said...

Mmmm, ginger & whiskey cake looks like a more sophisticated version of Xmas cake.... mmmmm....