4 September 2010

Stuff of the moment

Is this the best music interview of the year? Nick Cave is usually good for a quote, but this one is better than most. "There was a miscommunication with the costume department," nods Cave, a little ruefully. "And we ended up looking like gay Roman footsoldiers." He brightens a bit. "Still, we've got the legs for it."
Here's the video they were talking about. I really like it, refreshingly different, good combo of pretty much every major religion and their partypieces, old religions (river Styx), b-grade movies (anyone else feel it's a cool rip of Jason and the Argonauts?) - wonderful stuff. I just keep watching it, it's so good.

Grinderman 'Heathen Child' from Trim Editing on Vimeo.


More on the music front. Radiohead were so impressed with a fan made video (50 camera shoot) of their Prague concert, they gave them the audio masters. The fans have turned it into a variety of formats, AVI, MKV, DVD even blu-ray coming soon. Go forth and download, legally! I can't comment on it as I'm still downloading, but eh, it's Radiohead, that's enough for me.

Here's the trailer:


Oh hell, I'm on a music roll, why stop. I was pissing around online the other day and came across the new Brian Wilson, doing versions of Gershwin. In theory, good plan. Let's face it, the catchiness of the Beach Boys output owes a lot to Broadway. Personally, I'll take the BB over Broadway, but the influence is still there. I'd argue the BB took the campness out, leaving a purer melody,which possibly explains why their music is more recognisable than a lot of Broadway classics. So yes, you'd imagine this could work if Wilson was tidying things up. In no way does this work. I'd rather listen to elevator music, although I can see this album turning up in elevators, at which point I'd be keying my own wrists.

I don't want to inflict the video for you, but there's one soulless dead track here. I see yesterdays music review said much the same, "But, goodness, what a horrible album this is."

It was so horrible I went and overdosed on some Immortal to get rid of the ick. Here's some Blizzard Beasts for you.


Might meander off for a haircut. See, radicalism is alive and well in Shepshed.

B

No comments: