4 June 2007

Gabriel, Genesis and music

After reading that Peter Gabriel was awarded the Ivor Norvello lifetime award (thanks RSS and the BBC) it reminded me how damm good PG is. Particularly after spinning 'Us' which is, imo, one of his lesser works. Although it does have Secret World on it. Actually the more I think about it, it's probably cos half of the tracks got thrashed as singles that I'm a bit bored with it. PG '3' and 'Up' are my two favourite albums of his.

And in a wonderful segue, that brings me to Genesis. Hmmm now as people keep telling me I'm a prog fanboy. And I can't argue with that. But as I keep telling people I'm not a big Genesis fan (although it's growing...dammit), Floyd - hell yeah, Bowie (is Bowie prog? eh who cares) yell yeah. Genesis, nah not so much. I've got a few albums lying around, and occasionally spin Lamb on vinyl - as I'm waiting for the remaster to come out. But leaving Genesis was the best thing Gabriel could have done, his solo stuff just kicks Genesis...I know there's a few of you out there who are going to complain 'but without Genesis breaking the mould Gabriel wouldn't have been able to do wot he's done' - and yes, I agree with you. But isn't his solo stuff so much better!

And in yet another segue, with thanks to Psychochicken, the new BBC series on music Seven Ages of Rock is bloody marvellous. Yay the internet!! Hopefully Ep3 will be floating around it soon.

Well I'm off for coffee now!!!

Love, B x

No comments: