4 June 2007

Meme alert!!

With thanks to Psychochicken and HippeDave.

1. Marillion
2. Tom Waits
3. Porcupine Tree
4. Muse
5. Pineapple Thief
6. The Mountain Goats
7. Bob Dylan
8. Mew
9. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
10. Dredg

What was the first song you ever heard by 6?
Not so much a song as I'd heard bits of the 'Goats on ActiveFM's Americana show and managed to miss their first Wellington gig. Which, typically, had stunning reviews and made me bitter, so very very bitter. Thankfully they turned up again and I made it to that one. Wow. One of the best gigs I've been too, the Goats are very very funny onstage, and their songs are great. Quirky, black and twisted songs.

What is your favorite album of 2?
That's a tricky question as Tom has had a *long* and very diverse career. I think, depending on mood, it's going to be a tossup between Small Change, Mule Variations, Alice and Bone Machine. If i'm after a jazz vibe it'll be Small Change and Alice, if I'm after a more alt vibe it'll be MV or BM.

What is your favorite lyric that 5 has sung?
Little Man

How many times have you seen 4 live?
Sadly never, again one of those almost stories. I had organised a trip for the gig but then I got a permit for some research and got stuck on an island instead.

What is your favourite song by 7?
Tricky question - again. But I absolutely love Blind Willie McTell which is found on the Bootleg Series 1-3 and the bonus disc to the stunning Time Out of Mind. Which, coincidently, is my favourite Dylan album.

What is a good memory you have involving the music of 10?
Probably the excitement of finding a new band. Someone had mentioned them on a mailing list I was on and since I was ordering some stuff from the US I threw Catch Without Arms on the list. As you can see from its position on the list, I like the band a lot (I only have two albums which says something that its at #10). Great prog-pop, is that a genre? I dunno, but they are definitely poppy, but there is quite a lot more going on in their music.

Is there a song of 3 that makes you sad?
Feel so low from Lightbulb Sun. Ok so there aren't that many lyrics, but the music rips me everytime. This would be followed very closely by Lazarus, from Deadwing.

What is your favorite lyric that 2 has sung?
No. There are to many that I like, although Tom's recent tirade against the war is good.

How did you get into 3?
Three ways, firstly through Marillion mailing lists who started raving about them which at least made me aware of the band. Then a local pirate radio station, called PirateFM, played something off The Sky Moves Sideways which hooked me as I was listening a bit of Floyd around then. And when I was chatting to Richard Stockwell of Delerium records in Hamilton and discovered he was the NZ stockist - well it all came together. TSMS was my first purchase which I liked - alot - then Signify was released and I was utterly hooked. It's been a long and expensive trip since then - although the value of the collection now makes up for that :)

What was the first song you heard by 1?
Script for a Jester's Tear and The Space by a sad arse loser guy called Trent. That led me to borrow Script and Season's from GrizzledDog. And the rest has been expensive history.

What is your favorite song by 4?
Absolution or Black Holes and Revelations

How many times have you seen 9 live?
None. I couldn't afford it when Nick came here last time. I was utterly guttered. Guttered I tells ya!

What is a good memory you have involving 2?
Drinking bloody good Scotch, smoking a cigar on our front porch with Grizzleddog, back in Mt Cook. Remember that Mr Andrew...

Is there a song of 8 that makes you sad?
Nope, thats what I like about Mew, they are happy cheery music! Go them! Not that typical for my depressing-prog tendencies

What is your favorite album of 5?
Variations on a Dream. The first album I heard by TPT and its still my favourite. Although the emotionary engagement of the next two is probably higher, the music of VOAD works so much better for me.

What is your favorite lyric that 3 has sung?
Can't even begin to answer that one, mainly cos it's too difficult to isolate music from lyrics. Particularly for this band. There's so many to chose from. So I'm giving up. There, it's a cop out!

What is your favorite song of 1?
I have no idea! But thinking about it, which was always going to happen at some point, the title track to Afraid of Sunlight rocks my world. So yup that'll be it. I get shivers down my spine everytime Mark Kelly's keyboard kicks

What is your favorite song of 10?
Hmmm probably Sang Real off Catch Without Arms

How many times have you seen 8 live?
Never. Well that was a quick answer.

What is your favorite album of 1?
Afraid of Sunlight. Simple!

What is a great memory you have considering 9?

Wandering around town when Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus suddenly clicked, great album.

What was the first song you heard by 8?

I'm an album kinda guy, so the first track off And the glass handed kites which is "Circuitry of the Wolf". And I owe it all to Neil :)

3 comments:

Mr A. P. Salmond, esq. said...

I certainly do remember! Ahh...it was nice living in a place with a front porch. :-)

That's one of two great memories I have of that porch, the other involving a sunny day off, a deck chair, and a complete run of the Comico Grendels. :-)

Amanda said...

I believe Bob Dylan is going to be in town again soon. Don't think I'll bother going though. Not only is the thought of going out at night far too adventurous to consider I saw him in the 90s in Auckland and it was totally blah though I'm glad I saw him once for the legend.

BTW going through my archives you make an appearance in an early blog post- Steve Earle related

http://thelongdarkteatimeofthesoul.wordpress.com/2004/04/20/and-i-hate-to-let-you-down-but-im-gonna-let-you-down-ive-got-no-love-today/

Amanda said...

Oops, link looks wrong. Sorry about that