2 June 2007

Guilty Pleasures (musical!)

I've had a soft spot for the Alan Parsons Project for years now. It all began when I was still in Wanga's, and stumbled across the vinyl for Tales of Mystery and Imagination. Since I'd just been reading a collection of Poe's short stories I decided to buy it (well it was cheap and second hand). Voila I was hooked. I also found the CD - which had more Welles narration on it - cheap second hand. It's still probably my favourite APP album. Although interestingly the most recent, A Valid Path, and in particular the 5.1 mix of it comes very close, I like the techno-ish vibe AP went for on that one.
Most of the APP albums are based loosely on a concept, E.A.Poe for Tales, surveillance for Eye in the Sky, I Robot should be self explanatory, Vulture Culture from the me me me 80s (culture vulture), Gaudi on Antoni Gaudi etc. Although they aren't concept albums per se (aside from Tales), more a thematic focus.

Anyway what prompted this admission is the current re-releases of the albums: Tales of Mystery and Imagination; Eye in the Sky; I, Robot and Vulture Culture which I've recently picked up.

It's interesting to see how they've dated since release. Obviously these CDs are brilliantly recorded as thats one thing AP does very well, and there has been a great deal of care involved in these releases. The bonus tracks are good and the long track (kind of a mix track) on each CD is excellent.

Eye in the Sky still sounds great, nothing too dated on here. The use of orchestra, particularly trombones and swirling it between the speakers is still very cool. I don't care how much rubbishing they get, I like the proggy goodness of Silence and I, and everyone knows the title track - and recognises Sirius. I'm currently listening to the orchestral 'eye pieces' which definitely reinforces how good the tunes were. The brass band section of Silence and I is gorgeous.

I, Robot. I hadn't heard a good version of this as my vinyl is pretty crappy and the tape died years ago. Most of the album holds up quite well, and there are some great tunes in there. It does get a bit widdly and meh in places, but I like it. Anyone who doesn't start tapping away to Genesis Ch.1 V32 needs to be shot.

Vulture Culture. Again another tape of mine so I hadn't heard it for sometime. Actually I'm not sure if I had VC on tape at all, I had a kinda BestOf Vol2 which was largely drawn from VC and Ammonia Ave so I knew most of the tracks. Again the songs are great, and the opening three tracks are very strong. This album is the one that has dated tho', the music is good the tunes are strong, but the heavy 80's synth dates it. I like the album, but somehow it doesn't have the freshness of the other two. VC has always been regarded as the lesser sibling of Ammonia Ave (VC was supposed to be a companion piece to it). Don't get me wrong, its very good 80s synth pop/rock, but it's not APP best work.

Tales hasn't arrived yet, but its got a whole bonus disc on it which should be nice!

Love, B xx

No comments: