19 April 2010

Cooking with Bruce : Chocolate Macaroon evolution

I sometimes get asked why my cooking appears to have very little in common with the recipe I'm following. This is generally as 'You're reading it wrong'.

Here's an example of how I change things.

Hugh Fernley Whittingstall has nice recipes, even if he comes across as an annoying twat on TV - that's nothing against him, he's railing against the stupidity of the UK supermarkets and their 'quality'. And I don't like TV chefs (as I'm not one of them).  Here's his recipe for Chocolate Macaroons, and here's what mine turned into. You'll note his has far more instructions than mine.

Preheat oven to 150C.
Beat 3 egg whites until foamy then add 55g caster sugar and beat until stiff and glossy. Stir in 3T cocoa, some shredded coconut, 60g (ish) caster sugar, 100g (ish) flour, a smidgeon of baking powder.

Grease a baking tray and put tablespoons of mixture on there, bake for 15 minutes.
(this made 8 btw).

Granache: chop 100gm of chocolate into small parts, warm 100ml double cream and mix together. Spread on one macaroon, place another on top. Just like a sammie!

Me.

No comments: