26 April 2010

Gigs and wotnot

I was down in London over the weekend for a few whisky's, some art, and a gig.

The Enid were playing at the superb Union Chapel in Islington. It is, as you've probably guessed, a church, lovely old wooden one, cool lighting, lots of stained glass - and therefore ideal for atmospheric gigs. Marillion fans will know it from Christmas at the Chapel (apparently unavailable on DVD now, just audio download).
So figuring the Enid hardly ever tour, were promoting a new album, and it was at a venue I wanted to go to - seemed a no brainer really.

It's hard to describe the Enid, the best I've come up with is err ummm kinda symphonic pop? ish? I haven't heard lots of it, I picked up the 'big' album sometime ago 'Something wicked this way comes...' and enjoyed that. Hearing a good review of last years Arise and Shine I grabbed that, and it made it into the Top10 for the year. It's generally pretty happy music, and more symph than prog, altho there's guitars and drums.
I hadn't heard the new album, and figured I'd buy it at the gig - and they opened with it in its entirety. I got the feeling the band hadn't quite gelled with the album as a live beast, and it seemed a little loose in places. I thoroughly enjoyed it and there were some lovely moments in it, but the vocals were mixed too low which didn't help much. Having now listened to the album, Journey's End, it is superb. Fresh, exciting, quite 'Enidi' in places, and with the interesting rock twist that present on Arise and Shine. Really enjoying it.
Following an intermission, the band rocked through some older pieces, which it was obvious they were far more comfortable with. Some nice piano playing by RJGodfrey (the main man of the Enid), he seemed a little nervous, but his chats to the audience (about 50% full, only downstairs) was very engaging. The Enid, and RJG in particular, seem to have been screwed royally over some CD releases (there's more on the website). And in response have made available their entire back catalogue to download for a donation.
Personally I'd recommend buying the new album, it seems to be a very good representation of what/who/why the Enid are.
Thoroughly enjoyed the concert, it was very very different - the venue was superb, the band are unique, and I'd go back to see them again.

me.

No comments: