6 April 2010

A productive weekend

I've been procrastinating for months, 12 of them. I have had two papers all but ready for submission which, due to my antipathy to science, have lain dormant. I've spoken about 'finishing the papers' but really wasn't in the right headspace, and anyway didn't have any interest.
I think it's fair to say, I still don't have any interest, but I've finished them both over Easter. I did have to bribe myself; if I finished them, I could have a bottle of 14yo Edradour (as both my Edradour's passed on many months ago). As is common with my writing/editing style, the house is clean, all my papers reorganised, and many other things found to occupy my time.
One is now submitted, and the other is awaiting GenBank submission numbers, at which point it can be submitted too.

I'm thinking I might explore writing for myself, see where that takes me. Having said that, there is at least one more paper from the PhD that I could work on. A just-so story of evolution within the Reptilia. The way I approach it, it is more creative writing than hard science, a story rather than a law.

Van Gogh exhibition
The psychochicken mentioned he'd be in London over Easter, and perhaps we could have a beer. Normally I'd have said no, I'll be renewing my faith - however the bugger got me during a mindnumbingly tedious 2.5hr meeting. And I'd already decided I'd be writing/editing, and so was already looking for procrastination. Damn him. So we met up and toddled along to the Van Gogh (QI link on how to say Van Gogh) exhibition at the Royal Academy. Interesting. It's a combo of his letters (vg was a prolific letter writer apparently), his sketches and paintings. What struck me was his dedication and intelligence, the sketches were to improve his skills, often following criticism of his paintings. The sketches also demonstrated far more detail than ever made it to his paintings, which even in his still life studies appeared to be looking for the essence of the object, not the specifics.
I doubt I'm alone, but I preferred the latter era paintings. But honestly, the sketches did more for me. There was a lot of work on trees and orchards, whcih I liked. Atmospheric and dark, which I felt got lost when put on canvas.
Oddly, it appears PC, Fran and I all wander around exhibitions at roughly the same pace.

A few beers followed.

British Canal Museum
I had been intending to wander back to the Tate Britain for the Henry Moore exhibition, but decided I couldn't be bothered going that far - what with tube travel in the weekends being a whole new level of 'fun'. A quick google for museums and Kings Cross station found a few within quick walking distance, and I settled for the Canal Museum. This was far more interesting than I thought it would be. It's set in an old ice storage building, so there's a bit on that - and the ice trade interactions with canal boats.
There were only three of us there, so nice and quiet, which is something to treasure in London museums. What I found really interesting was the reliance during the second world war on the canal system, and how the Germans never bombed it - apparently railways were their major target. Even the bombing of St Pancras station managed to miss the canal alongside (with that sort of targetting, the Americans might want to chat to the Germans...).
Surprisingly recommended. It's quirky, it's obviously done by enthusiasts, and it's quiet.

Mmm might even review some CDs, or more Bgrade movies.

B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that your wee bottles darling man?