5 August 2010

Cooking with Bruce: Sweet n Sour the quick version

Want a quick Sweet n Sour recipe that's ready to eat in 10 minutes? Here ya go.

Firstly, finish the glass of wine you're halfway through, refill. I'm prepared to accept ale, voddie, or gin as substitutes.
Put A-Ha 'Hunting High and Low' on very loud, ideally vinyl, but I'll accept other, lesser, formats.

Mix: remember all measurements are approx
1T rice wine
2T soy sauce*
1T brown sugar (or in my case, jaggery poor, cos I'm a wanker)
2T cornflour mixed into 2T water
juice from a can of pineapple (I used a 250gm-ish can).

Put on some rice.

Fry:
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3cm ginger, finely grated
2 red chillies (I never bother with deseeding)

Fry for 30s at high temp, add the liquid and cook for 2 minutes, it'll thicken - that's a good sign.

Add:
1 red pepper chopped
225gm can water chestnuts drained
200g raw prawns
pineapple pieces

Fry for 3-4 minutes or so until the prawns are cooked, reduce time if you're really cheating and using pre-cooked prawns.

Serve on rice. Green salad works nicely as a side dish.

Another example of I can't be arsed cooking, but hey look what I threw together....

It's not the greatest sweet n sour I've made, but it's more than adequate, and for 10 minutes, what the hell were you expecting?!

b

No comments: