6 June 2010

Cooking with Bruce: Japanese Fish

It's been raining on and off all day, making it hell to keep windows open since it's all hot and muggy. Now getting all hot and sweaty can be fun, this isn't. Todays continual rain follows on from a very dramatic thunderstorm, which worked well with the zombie movie. Or would have, if the movie had been in any way good.
This is a dish I bastardised last week. Originally a Japanese dish to make fish on skewers (made from lemon grass stalks) I decided that was far too much like work, or rather, impractical, a word that kinda ruins my day. Oh and it had girls blouse levels of flavour, so I upped them slightly.

Japanese Fish dish and Soba noodles
Part 1
4 spring onions chopped roughly
couple of fillets of firm fish chopped into blocks
2 lemon grass stalks finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped

Part 2
Bok Choi (or similar) roughly chopped
beansprouts, handful
2 green chilli, sliced
1T coriander, chopped
1 red onion, chopped

Part 3
Soba noodles soaked in green tea (or be slack and buy green tea noodles)

Part 4 Dressing
2T olive oil
3T dark soy sauce
1t grated fresh ginger (or more, I think I used more)
juice of 1 lime
1/2t sugar

1. Heat oil, cook all Part 1.
2. Add noodles in green tea
3. Add Part 2 to Part 1
4. Mix up Part 4.
5. Drain and add noodles to Part 1 and 2. Drizzle Part 4 over Parts 1-3.

See look, a simple recipe, with parts and stuff.

Tonight is going to be a new take on mushroom pie. I want to see if I can get a red wine type reduction rocking along with nice tangy cheesiness. If it works, there may yet be a new recipe this week, see that's the kind of culinary adventures my kitchen experiences !! But there's been like planning and stuff for tonights meal. Well planning if you count buying some red wine and not drinking it all. Which in my simple world, I do count.

No comments: