20 June 2010

Zombie reviews

A few weeks ago a three pack of zombie movies for a fiver popped up on Amazon, based on previous purchases or browsing. A fiver seemed a good price, and so I ended up with these three. I'm currently suffering a dose of patriotism(homesickness) and typing this while gearing up to watch the NZ game against Italy while listening to the prog-metal band Redemption.

Days of Darkness: the rise of the flesh-eaters
It looks cheap. Even from a b-grade perspective. Dialogue is stilted, actors seem confused, and it's essentially a box-ticker based on the Romero zombie list. The characters take their cliches and stumble enthusiastically through the clumsy script. There is tension, there are issues, love, babes, babes with guns, black guy. Oh and it drags,badly.
On my b-grade scaling it's a solid 5. Quite watchable, but make sure you have some booze and food. And kudos to the director for making an 86min movie seem too long.

Next up was The Zombie Diaries, advertised as 'the best UK horror film of the year' and 'dark, uncompromising and frighteningly real'.I can only assume it was a weak year for UK horror. If Days of Darkness dragged, then this grabbed me nuts and dragged them over rusty nails. The plus side: the zombies act well. The downside:everything else. Interesting concept, post-zombie apocalypse some video diaries are found. You'd think that should provide an excellent movie, or at least a base for one. Nope. 81mins of oh god I want more booze. It's not just me, S2H was online while I was watching and laughed at me having sat through it previously. I think this one has to hit 2 or 3 on the viewing scale. It really was painful. There's deleted scenes on the DVD, and I haven't gathered the courage to view them, suspecting that it's unlikely the good movie is hidden there.

And finally, Zombies Zombies Zombies which managed to give away the entire plot onthe cover 'Strippers vs Zombies'. Bad scientist invents zombie causing serum, which is grabbed in place of crack, gets into human population. And then focusses on the strip club, where everyone decided to hide. I've watched similar movies to this, that were good (Zombie Strippers being the easiest to find). This one falls flat.No real character development or plot, but it does hang together ok. There's a bit of humour in it, but nothing great. Many characters introduced and not actually used, or developed, or taken anywhere.
Probably the best of the three, let's give it a 6.

And at 1-0 in the football, I am going to pay attention to it.

Love, B

No comments: