2 December 2006

Bloody Windows users

There are silly people in this world. Every few weeks someone will ask me 'my computer doesn't work very well, can you look at' I sigh, state I'll need cash or wine (or crayfish) and begin looking. Most of the time it's due to expired antivirus definitions. Like the current case. They are (or were) running Nortons security centre. Not my first choice for AV software, but hey there were trying. Although this was negated by a) the defs being 18 months out of date and b) none of the windows security updates being installed. It's akin to going to a gay bar, throwing a bucket of water over you, dropping the soap and saying last one in is a het-boy.
So here's my advice to all you windows users out there, and I'll be the first to admit that yes this will cut down my alcohol/cash/seafood income. But thats the kind of hit I'll take for you!!!

* run an upto date operating system. Thats WinXP (preferrably Pro) or Vista. Not 2000, 98, 95. Or switch to Linux (ubuntu/kubuntu is my favourite).
* run Windows Update (under Tools menu in Internet explorer while connected to the internet). This will pull down the number of security updates for the machine
* run Office updates (found here)
* update your antivirus program, if you don't have one and dont want to play with soap, try using a free one. I tend to run the AVG freeware which can be found here
* remember to update your antivirus program. most of them can be set to remind you if you are a forgetful fish like creature, every 7 days should be fine
* antispyware. either spybot or Microsoft antispyware would be a good place to start.

For those of you follow these simple bits of info, and feel immense gratitude to me, send me alcohol, cash or food. I shall send you big respect and love.

Pah.

Me xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your hints to Windows users about updating their OS will do me out of a job!

Sphenodon said...

There are enough idiots in this world who don't read my blog that should keep us in work. As DA said "Don't Panic"...

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, the standard Weta Digital desktop is currently Kbuntu.