24 May 2010

Anathema and the 7s

Had a fun weekend, which differentiates it from the week, headed down to London on Friday to catch up with the A-team over a couple. Then we headed off to see Anathema. We'd seen them before, as support for Porcupine Tree. That gig was marred by technical problems (from memory), so didn't impress.  But we enjoyed this one, a whole gig of just Anathema, playing stuff from the new album "we're here because we're here". This was great, fun gig, nice mid sized venue, great audience and lots of beer. Actually too much beer. Saturday morning was quiet, very quiet. Or in theory it would have been.

Except I had to get up and meet Fran for the London Sevens. I'm not a big fan of the sevens, but figured I've suffered by having very little rugger to watch this season and it was 10 quid for the entire weekend. Had a great time, again quite a lot of beer on Saturday in a very very hot sunny weather (26-28C apparently). Good rugger, fun times. And Twickenham is a nice stadium. Not quite the atmosphere of the Wgtn sevens, but close enough. Had a good bunch of people around, including a large number of kiwi's, safa's and Scot's (who are very realistic about their teams chances). Actually about the beer, rather than the dire crud we had to put up with at the caketin, I had guinness, Greene King IPA, and for the lesser sips, Becks or Stonebow.

Much the same for the Sunday, although it was hotter, and I had less beer. So I've almost got a tan (and yes, lots of sunscreen, but the English sun isn't quite the bitch the NZ one is). Contrary to FB updates, I'm not burnt. But as you've all gathered, I don't like FB and if I had a better way of keeping in contact, I'd be out of there.
I'd go back to the sevens, fun relaxed weekend. Also nice watching England lose to Aussie, South Africa and New Zealand. Not that I'm a vindictive bugger or nuffink.

B

No comments: