11 May 2010

The Thief are Back

I like the Pineapple Thief. This won't come as a surprise to anyone.

They have a new album out in a week or two, and have just released the video for the single. I like it, which makes a change from most videos - the director seems to have put a bit of thought into this one. It's ended up a mixture of film-noir, 1920s style, possibly Alice in Wonderland, definitely Forbidden Zone (the very odd Richard Elfman movie), and I get a very strong sense of Guy Maddin, both in style of the shots and the style of story-telling.

I've heard quite a few tracks from the new album live, and the style change evident over the last few albums is continuing. Without losing that 'thiefness' which is what hooked me years ago.
I'm also looking forward to the new Anathema album, but more on that later.

Here's the video and a banner link for the new albums site.

The Pineapple Thief - Nothing at Best (from Someone Here is Missing) from Kscope on Vimeo.


Love and lollipops, B

1 comment:

Pachyderm said...

Hey, I spotted a new Phoenix Foundation album when I was cruising Lambton Quay the other day (sorry can't remember name - I'm a bit of a shocker for that!). D'you want me to fire it over to you, or do you already have it?

R