3 July 2010

Leicester, you surprising minx

I haven't really warmed to Leciester, it seems to me to be a village trying very hard to be a city. It's got a weird vibe of arty (in pockets), bogun/skank (most of people), and hints of bohemia,although nothing really gels - not helped by weird ass layout and horrible large malls.
But it does have a reasonable fresh market, good fresh fish, cheeses etc, so if I'm feeling like coping with crowds it's worth visiting. I'd already decided to have a quiet weekend, and thought I'd head down to the fruit market and pick up some fruit then head to an art gallery.

Anyway got there and found a nice Italian market set up in the main square. So I left there with some italian chocolate (mint); nougat (rum and raisin); buffalo mozzarella; date bread; crackers; olive oil (interesting floral pepper flavour). Then headed to the food market and got some beetroot; strawberries; blackberries; melon; blue stilton; juice; and some okra (woohoo seafood gumbo this week). Wasn't too crowded when I got there so that went ok too. By this point my bag was too full, so I headed home art be damned.

Now chillin' reading the paper and watching the Argentina v Germany game which is proving a reasonable watch.

Me.

No comments: