15 April 2009

Musings on the rest of the weekend and Monet

Did a lot of cooking, which I enjoyed, been awhile since I've that kind of time to play around in the kitchen. Happy times.
Lots of walking around the place. I'd kinda forgotten how nice Otari-Wilton is to wander around in.

Movies; best of the bunch, by far, was Gorky Park. Which I realise the other day I hadn't seen, so put my feet up and dealt to that problem. Sure the accents are funny etc., but the story is tight. Very tight. Dennis Potter did the script adaptation, which I think was a good plan. Good thriller, very recommended.

The new Ramblin' Jack Elliot album is out, I've pulled it down off iTunes and have spun it once. Seems good so far, it is an album I've been looking forward to, particularly as Joe Henry produced it - and his solo stuff is superb.

Thoroughly enjoying Wonderfall (Bryan Fuller), and the new series Better Off Ted.

Monet
I went along to the Monet exhibition at Te Papa yesterday, and came away, and I know this is going to sound twatty, distinctly unimpressed. The Boston collection, which is whats touring here, doesn't seem a good overview of impressionism. Sure there are a few decent examples in there, but generally it's not good. The space is also too small, and the atmosphere is dead. Don't get me wrong, I like impressionism, a lot - and some of my favourite galleries are impressionists.
There's a distinct lack of continuity, there's some of the initial period, and a few at the end, but the examples during the middle (and important) period were weak.

What was much much better, was the drawing collection collection by the same people - which was free - and hidden away in the Illot Gallery. Go see that in preference to the Monet.

B

1 comment:

Pachyderm said...

Lucky you've got something to compare it to. For those of us who haven't got to France yet, it was pretty good.

BTW Dad agrees with you - he didn't like it either.

R