10 April 2009

The week, and cooking with Bruce, Gumbo stylez

The week has been good, I've had the flu, but without the feckin' rollout, it's been good. the team has had inspired direction, whether they see it that way is immaterial.
Haven't done much during the week, although made it out to the quiz last night. We came fourth, which made us happy. As did beer. I'd had some nice white after work with a couple of others in the Biol Dept., headed to Havana where a nice Tall Blonde wetted my lips. Quiz consisted of Bookbinder, as per usual.

Today I've done nothing, well ok, done some washing and cleaned the house, and watched TV/movies - Wonderfalls (thanks for the tip Neil!), QI, DailyShow, Colbert Report, Better off Ted, Sita Sings the Blues (thanks M and A, I loved it), and have some more classy fare lined up for the evening.

Dinner, decided to cook my take on a gumbo. The original recipe can be found in the most recent Cuisine, but I've adapted it to be a) meat free and b) gluten free (I think). Not for any reason other than I was playing around.
Some fish, I guess it was around 150gm.
salt, pepper
Mix these two then fry high temp v lightly.
50ml olive oil (heat this) then add 50gm flour (I used rice flour), whisk it in, and cook gently for 10 minutes until it goes brown.
Add 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped capsicum, 2 stalks celery - cook 5 minutes.
Stir in 2 chopped spicy vege sausages (and added chilli in my case), 3 cloves garlic and 4-500 ml of stock slowly (your choice, i used Vege and Crayfish mix), bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add 80-100gm okra, chopped and lightly fried before hand.
Add 3 chopped spring onions, 1 T worcestershire sauce, 1t tabasco, simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
Serve with rice.

Damn that was good. It was cooked with a St Peter's grapefruit, and served with a Te Mata estate Gamay Noir, which is a damn fine mix with spicy food.

About to watch Russian Ark now after another episode of QI. Mmmm My Lord thy Fry.

No comments: