26 April 2009

Tony Joe White and Ian Moss

Wandered along to the FrontRoom last night to see TJW for, I think, the fourth time. The venue had sold out, which surprised me when a mate said he couldn't get tix. Turns out they had it seated for about 2/3-3/4 of the lower level. This was odd, but did have the advantage of keeping the temperature down. Although people were complaining. Speaking of the people, weird audience. Mostly old people (like 50+) which explains why when I arrived at 820 (doors opened at 730) that it was packed. And what a rude freekin audience. Talking to each other during both acts - fucks sake. Oh and their appearance - my god, there were mullets. I havent seen them for years! and they were all dressed like aging boguns. Horrid. Us young beautiful things were at the back as we all turned up late :D

Ian Moss (Cold Chisel) was supporting - and wot a revelation. Essentially a masterclass in acoustic guitar blues guitar. That's how good it was. His solo stuff, re-interpretations of classic Chisel - and he even did Tucker's Daughter!! Really cool gig, and yeah I think I'll be buying some of his solo stuff. Great vibe, stunning playing, go check out the free mp3s on his website.

TJW: the best gig of his I've seen was also at the James Cab that me and Adders went to years ago. But this was probably the 2nd best of his I've seen. This time in addition to the drummer we had a keyboardist - who was mainly doing bass-ish parts, and some hammond sounds. TJW was his usual laid-back self, which gives a great vibe (apart from the talking fuckheads) to the gig. the audience seemed to be there mainly for Polk Salad Annie, Even Trolls love Rock n Roll and Steamy Windows. But the rest of it, ahhh divine. huge sounds from that guitar, dirty swamp blues, very bass/mid heavy. I love it. TBH I could have done without Steamy Windows, which is quite overrated. But I can't complain too much as the tracklist was excellent, nicely balanced and well worth the wander.

And I was a healthy wee bugger by wandering to the gig and back again.
Some vids are in order.
Ian Moss - Tuckers Daughter


And in a blues orientated feel, Moss covering Georgia - just to give you an idea how good the gig was:


And now some TJW, I've stayed clear of the common ones:




Rather good combo ain't they :)

b

1 comment:

MadMacca said...

Phwwoaar Ian Moss/Cold Chisel and TJW!